Has your marriage ever gotten a little rocky? I know that mine has hit the rocks a few times. But there are ways to get up, brush off, and move forward.
Dr. John Gottman in his book “The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work” has written several ways that couples can strengthen their marriage. Whether you have been married for years, or just got back from your honeymoon. These are some great exercise that you can do to strengthen your relationship with your spouse.
The first exercise is called a “love map”. For this you will want to see how much you know about your spouse and then learn what you don’t already know.
After being married for a while I think that we can forget some of the things that make our spouse so special. I know that I often forget all the great things that my husband does for me. This brings me to another exercise that Dr. Gottman suggest that couples use. The exercise is called “I Appreciate…” for this exercise you will both pick 5 things that you appreciate about one another and then share them, along with an example of when your spouse did that action or used that quality. Before reading what Dr. Gottman had to say about this activity I was already doing it. I know that because of my appreciation towards my husband, he is happier, and more motivated to do things because he knows that things he does are important and that they mean something to someone.
We all need to remember why our spouse is important and why we married them. Sometimes we just need a little reminding. Don’t be afraid to do these exercises and strengthen each other. It might bring back something that you have been missing.
No comments:
Post a Comment