Saturday, February 25, 2017

Beware of Pride

In my life, I have heard many people say, “If only they would let go of their pride.”  Why is it so important that we let go of our pride or that we keep pride out of our lives?  My answer is that we kick the destructive pride to the curb.  There are different levels of pride, the pride you feel when your sports team has won a game or the pride, of watching your children accomplish something amazing.  I feel pride all the time when I watch my husband give help to others or show compassion to his friends.  However, this level of pride is not the one that people worry about.
No, the one that people worry about is that one that causes arguments and hurt feelings.  The pride that we think puts us above all those around us.  It is this pride that hurts our marriages and hurts our spouses.
There have been times in my marriage that my husband or I was so sure that we were right about something that we would not drop a conversation or that we would not allow our spouse to be right because we had the answer.  But, looking back on those moments I see how foolish it was.  No one gained a better understanding of the situation and no one gained a greater love or appreciation for the other.  Instead there were times that for days I would cry in the bathroom alone because my feelings were hurt.  Or there were things that my husband didn’t want to talk to me about because he knew that I would throw and “I told you so” in his face. 
We need to be able to let go of our harsh pride and allow love and understanding to flow in its place.  Let us remember to always walk in our spouse’s shoes and think about how they would feel if certain things were said.  I know that since my husband and I have learned to let go of our pride we are happier, more trusting, and more understanding.  “Pride will cost you everything and leave you with nothing.”

Image result for Quote on pride

No comments:

Post a Comment