Saturday, January 14, 2017

Marriage and Divorce

I have the wonderful opportunity to be in a marriage and family class for school.  I am super excited to share my thoughts with you throughout the semester.  This week was on marriage and divorce. 
Something that stood out to me in the readings for this week was the importance of a marriage between a husband and wife in the proper place at the proper time.  There are so many families and couples that break up all because they do not go through the right steps.
I was born to an LDS family and raised in the gospel.  I didn’t go through a divorce as a child and I didn’t grow up in a home with parents the smoke and/or drink.  However, I know that this is not the case for many children in America.  Just within my aunts and uncle’s families I have seen 4 divorces, 7 leave the church, and 5 that drink. All those that fall into those categories were raised in the gospel.  Does this make my family bad people? No.  All this shows us is that the world is changing and that the family is under attack. 
In one of the talks by Dallin H. Oaks mentioned how people use divorce as an easy way out.  And that getting married is becoming more and more of an optional thing.  Even though these practices have become more prevalent does not mean that they are helpful or are solving any problems.  Honestly, it is making them worse.  More and more children are coming from broken homes and are struggling with depression.  When I was a kid I didn’t even know, what depression was! 
I believe that there is more behind a temple marriage then one may think.  As Latter Day Saints we have the opportunity to get married in the temple and I think that knowing a family is forever makes us work harder to have that family be a happy one.  We work hard as spouses to love one another and to work our disagreements with love and compassion.  We raise our children to treat everyone with respect and kindness, and we do so with a purpose! 
To sum up my thought I just want to say that we need to put the sanctity and love back into marriage.  It has become something that people don’t take seriously and don’t find important.  Let us remember to keep the love and importance in marriage.
To help you understand my thoughts I have added a video from the Mormon Messages Saving Your Marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment